The mission of the European Medicines Agency is to foster scientific excellence in the evaluation and supervision of medicines, for the benefit of public and animal health.
Working with the Member States and the European Commission as partners in a European Medicines Regulatory Network, the European Medicines Agency:
- provides independent, science-based recommendations on the quality, safety and efficacy of medicines, and on more general issues relevant to public and animal health that involve medicines;
- applies efficient and transparent evaluation procedures to help bring new medicines to the market by means of a single, EU-wide marketing authorisation granted by the European Commission;
- implements measures for continuously supervising the quality, safety and efficacy of authorised medicines to ensure that their benefits outweigh their risks;
- provides scientific advice and incentives to stimulate the development and improve the availability of innovative new medicines;
- recommends safe limits for residues of veterinary medicines used in food-producing animals, for the establishment of maximum residue limits by the European Commission;
- involves representatives of patients, healthcare professionals and other stakeholders in its work, to facilitate dialogue on issues of common interest;
- publishes impartial and comprehensible information about medicines and their use;
- develops best practice for medicines evaluation and supervision in Europe and contributes alongside the Member States and the European Commission to the harmonisation of regulatory standards at the international level.
- We are strongly committed to public and animal health.
- We make independent recommendations based on scientific evidence, using state-of-the-art knowledge and expertise in our field.
- We support research and innovation to stimulate the development of better medicines.
- We value the contribution of our partners and stakeholders to our work.
- We assure continual improvement of our processes and procedures, in accordance with recognised quality standards.
- We adhere to high standards of professional and personal integrity.
- We communicate in an open, transparent manner with all of our partners, stakeholders and colleagues.
- We promote the well-being, motivation and on-going professional development of every member of the Agency.
To continue reading this article please go to EMA .